You may have heard people say, “If it sounds too good to be true, then it is.” But is that always true?
When it comes to a little company called Six Month Smiles, that doesn’t seem to be the case.Creative Commons
What Are Six Month Smiles Braces?
Six Month Smiles are not regular braces, the biggest difference being that it takes just six months for the treatment to be complete.
Here are a handful of ways Six Month Smiles may be a better choice than traditional braces:
- Faster results: SMS takes six months while regular braces can take up to two years.
- Disguised braces: SMS uses clear or tooth-colored material so the braces are nearly unnoticeable.
- More affordable: because SMS only lasts six months, they cost much less than regular braces.
- More hygienic: thanks to only needing SMS for a short period of time, there’s less risk of food particles getting stuck in the teeth and braces and less chance of plaque or bacteria buildup.
- Less annoying: because SMS only go on the front teeth, they tend to be less uncomfortable than typical braces that are placed on every tooth.
Who Is A Good Candidate For Six Month Smiles?
Most adults are good candidates for Six Month Smiles, especially those with extrusions, rotations, intrusions, or tipping. Other common issues that can be corrected with Six Month Smiles include diastemas, spacing, overbites, open bites, crowding, overlapping teeth, canted midlines, asymmetry, and reverse smile lines.
If you don’t know what half of those terms mean, that’s perfectly okay. Most non-dentists don’t either. The best way to figure out if you’re a candidate is to take the Am I A Candidate? survey on their website.
How Do Six Month Smiles Work?
For anyone 16 years old and up who has crooked or spaced teeth, Six Month Smiles may be a great option. First, you should visit their website to figure out if you’re a candidate.
Next, you’d meet with a dental professional in your area for a consultation. Once you’re given the green light, you can schedule your appointment to get the braces placed.
During the first month, your teeth begin to move. From month one through five, there will be adjustments made to your braces so your teeth can continue to be straightened. This is when you’ll start to see a huge difference.
And then in month six, you allow the braces to finish up their aligning before having the orthodontist remove the braces for good. Then you’ll have something to smile about!
Pros & Cons Of Six Month Smiles Treatment
Now let’s look at the good and not-so-good of Six Month Smiles.
- Quick treatment time (only six months!)
- Very unnoticeable brackets (they’re usually clear or teeth colored)
- Affordable (usually $3,000 to $4,500)
- Fewer office visits required
- Only straightens the front teeth, it may not improve your bite
- Some patients are clear on what the results will be, leading to upset clients
- Only for people 16 years old and up — excludes children in their developing stages
Six Month Smiles Cost
Although Six Month Smiles typically costs less than traditional braces, they’re actually not that much less. The reason they’re more affordable is because you only get brackets on the front teeth, not the whole mouth.
But for the most part, a SMS treatment can cost anywhere between $3,000 to $4,500.
SMS also has their own financing options for United States residents through LendingTree. If approved, you can pay as little as $99 per month. And for those in the United Kingdom, many dental insurance plans offer help with orthodontic treatment.
On top of that, most doctors offer payment plans.
Six Month Smiles Reviews
Don’t take out word for it. Let’s hear from some real people who really used Six Month Smiles.
“The difference is insane, I didn’t actually think my teeth were that bad, but now [I see]. So worth the expense!” – Janine
“So pleased with how well my teeth are responding to the Braces with minimal discomfort. …Best decision I’ve ever made.” – Lottie
“I’ve had my braces on for about 3 hours now and I’m in no pain at all. …So far for I’m super excited and impressed.” – curly.fit_
- When compared to traditional braces, Six Month Smiles is faster, less noticeable, more cost effective, more hygienic, and less uncomfortable.
- Most adults are are good candidates for Six Month Smiles, but the best way to find out is to take the potential candidate survey on their website.
- After meeting with a dental professional, you can start and complete a Six Month Smiles treatment and have straighter teeth.
- Although the flagship idea of Six Month Smiles is its quickness and convenience, it may not be for everyone as it straightens only the front teeth and may not be able to fix improper bites.