Thanks to teeth whitening pens, you can now draw a bright, white smile onto your face, like you would on a cartoon character. The world we live in.
The question, “How to whiten my teeth easily?” seems like an popular one. It sounds like a great idea, but does using a teeth whitening pen actually show results?Creative Commons
What Is A Teeth Whitening Pen?
A teeth whitening pen is a plastic tube that’s small enough to comfortably fit in your hand. It resembles a pen but has whitening gel inside it which you can then “draw” onto your teeth. Usually, you can see the difference in whiteness right after using it.
The main ingredient in teeth whitening gel pens is peroxide. According to the American Dental Association, carbamide peroxide breaks down into hydrogen peroxide, which then allows oxygen to get to your teeth enamel.
Other typical ingredients in whitening pens can include glycerin, carbopol, sodium hydroxide, other and added flavors.
Pros & Cons Of Teeth Whitening Pens
The technique of using a whitening pen is pretty unique, but it can also have some downsides. Let’s look at the pros and cons of teeth whitening pens.
- Whiten individual teeth
- Very affordable
- The whitening film can easily be washed off by saliva or rubbed off by the lips
- Some people may find it awkward to apply the whitener properly
Best Teeth Whitening Pen
With so many teeth whitening pens on the market, it can be difficult to choose the right one for you. So we’ve put together a list of the best pens for you to check out.
AuraGlow Teeth Whitening Pen
The special thing about the AuraGlow teeth whitening pen is that it comes in a clear tub, so you can see exactly how much gel you have left.
The gel itself, which contains 35% carbamide peroxide, is thick enough that it doesn’t leak out of the tube, but not too thick that it feels gross on your teeth.
- Super effective
- Comes in clear tube
- Tubes don’t have much gel in them
- Brush applicator tends to dry up and get clogged after use
bright on Whitening Pen
bright on whitening pen is small (even the name is in all lowercase letters), but it’s a powerful force in the teeth whitening world. Like other pens, you paint the whitening agent onto your teeth, and it claims to offer you a whiter smile in just a week, performing three times faster than whitening strips.
The cool thing is that you only need five minutes twice a day to get the full effect.
- Only takes five minutes twice a day
- Start to see results within a week
- Unlikely to cause teeth sensitivity
- Tubes of gel can break easily
- Some users report little whitening after one month
Radiance Teeth Whitening Pen
The Radiance teeth whitening pen also is clear so you can see how much gel is left. Even though it’s a bit more expensive than other whitening pens, it seems to work after just the first use.
- Starts to work after just one use
- Does not taste bad as some other pens do
- Easy to apply
- Quite expensive
- Some users say it doesn’t work at all
Pearl Teeth Whitening Pen
The Pearl teeth whitening pen is made with FDA- and ADA-certified ingredients and uses a patented gel formula. Each tube gives you 30 applications, which is a lot compared to its competitors.
- 30 applications pure pen
- FDA approved
- 2018 winner of the Dental Advisor Award
- Some users reported that it did not whiten their teeth
- Can cause sensitivity
Go Smile On The Go Teeth Whitening Pen
The Go Smile On-The-Go teeth whitening pen is just what it sounds like — a way to whiten your teeth on the go “with no sink required.”
Unlike many whitening pens, Go Smile has a minty aftertaste. However, there are some clear downsides we should mention.
- Results after just 1-2 weeks
- Slight minty flavor
- May cause sensitivity
- Users report it has a bad aftertaste
- Can be difficult to get gel out of pen
How To Use A Teeth Whitening Pen?
As far as how to use whitening pens, it’s pretty easy and not at all messy.
For most pens, you simply twist the pen or squeeze the tube to release the gel from the end of the pen, lightly brush it on each of your teeth, and go about your day. You can even take it with you, which is nice because many pens require you use them twice a day.
You should brush your teeth like you normally do before using the whitening pen, dry your teeth, and pull your lips back during whitening. And no matter what, follow the instructions included with the pen.
Are Teeth Whitening Pens Safe?
As long as you use your teeth whitening pen the correct way, it’s completely safe for your teeth and gums. However, using a whitening pen too much can damage the enamel and cause gum sensitivity.
Inherently, teeth whitening pens are perfectly okay to use. If you have any doubts or questions, always ask a dental professional.
- A teeth whitening pen is a small plastic tube filled with whitening gel that you brush onto your teeth.
- As you can see, even the best teeth whitening pens on the market have upsides and downsides. So it’s important to find the one that’s right for you, and even to get advice from a dental professional beforehand.
- Using a teeth whitening pen, simply brush your teeth with the whitening-gel-soaked pen tip (always follow the instructions included with the product).
- If used properly, teeth whitening pens are perfectly safe.