Why do teeth turn yellow? That’s the question on so many people’s minds.
In this article, we’re going to walk through how to remove yellow stains from teeth. Because nobody wants a gross smile.Creative Commons
Why Are My Teeth Yellow?
There a many reasons you may have yellow teeth. One common cause is intrinsic stains. This is when the inner surface of the tooth, which is called dentin, can be naturally yellow due to genetics.
Or it can become yellow from things like:
- Taking certain medications
- When a child takes antibiotics while they’re still developing
- Women who take tetracycline after the fourth month of pregnancy or during
- Breastfeeding can cause naturally yellow teeth in the baby
- Using prescription-strength mouthwash with chlorhexidine
- Using the acne drug minocycline
- Undergoing chemotherapy and/or treatments radiation in the head and neck area
- Consuming too much fluoride
- Getting silver fillings from a dental professional
Unfortunately, because the discoloring is in the deeper layer of the tooth, it’s difficult if not impossible to get rid of it.
There are some other common causes of yellow teeth, most of which can be helped with teeth whitening products. Some of the causes include:
- Teeth naturally get yellower as you age and the enamel wears away
- Smoking tobacco and nicotine products
- Foods like tomatoes, curry spices, and berries
- Drinks like coffee, tea, red wine, and soda
- Acute injury to the tooth can crack the enamel, exposing the yellow-colored dentin
- Teeth grinding (bruxism) can wear down the enamel
How To Get Rid Of Yellow Teeth?
Now to the question everyone’s asking: how do I get rid of yellow teeth?!
Well, here are the most effective ways the dental community has discovered so far.
The most proven method for whitening teeth is going to a dental professional. This is where you’d go into the office and they would use bleaching gels on your teeth. Sometimes, the dentist may use an LED light to help speed up the whitening process.
If you go to a professional, you may need to do several whitening treatment that can take 30-60 minutes each. They can also be quite expensive.
You can also get at-home whitening products that are professional-level. You can get your own whitening kit with LED light — it’s like a professional cleaning in your house. You can get these teeth cleaning kits from companies like WhiteSmileTeeth, AuraGlow and Snow.
A more affordable alternative to a professional teeth whitening is doing an at-home whitening. This can involve things like whitening strips, gels, trays that fit over your teeth, or using one of the best whitening toothpastes on the market.
The most important yellow-teeth-fighter is good oral hygiene. By brushing your teeth 2-3 times per day, flossing every day, and getting regular dental cleanings, you can combat the yellowing of your teeth.
On top of taking good care of your teeth, here are some home remedies for teeth whitening:
- Baking soda and hydrogen peroxide: Mix a tablespoon of baking soda and 2 tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide to make a paste. Brush with this paste like you would regular toothpaste. Rinse out your mouth with water.
- Coconut oil pulling: swish 1-2 teaspoons of organic, high quality liquid coconut oil for 10-30 minutes, not swallowing any of it. When done, spit it into the toilet or a trash can — the oil can clog your sink drain. Rinse with water then brush your teeth with regular toothpaste.
- Apple cider vinegar: create a mouthwash by mixing 2 teaspoons of ACV and 6 ounces of water. Swish this mixture for about 30 seconds. Spit and rinse with water then brush with regular toothpaste.
- Lemon, orange and banana peels: some people say you can rub the peel of a lemon, orange, or a banana peel can whiten your teeth. The idea comes from the fact that these peels have the compound d-limonene, which is supposedly what whitens your teeth. Simply rub the peel on your teeth for about two minutes. Rinse with water.
- Activated charcoal: activated charcoal teeth whitening is said to remove toxins and bacteria from the mouth. When using activated charcoal powder or toothpaste, you should follow the included instructions. Brush gently in a circular motion and be careful around the gums. You shouldn’t brush with it every day because of its abrasive properties.
- Consume lots of water: every person should be drinking plenty of water throughout the day, whether or not they’re trying to whiten their teeth. But water does help wash away food particles and bacteria. Also, consuming fruits and vegetable with high water content is supposedly a good whitening assistant. The idea is that they cleanse your teeth and gums of plaque and bacteria. We do know that eating crunchy vegetable or fruits after a meal can help produce more saliva, which washes the teeth as well.
How To Prevent Yellow Teeth?
The best way to prevent yellow teeth is to keep up with your oral hygiene. That means you should be brushing teeth 2-3 times a day, preferably after each meal, and use dental floss every day, and going to your dentist twice a year. These are the best ways to prevent extrinsic, enamel-level stains.
Other ways to avoid yellow teeth include not smoking, limiting your coffee, tea, and red wine consumption, and drinking lots of water (it helps rinse away bacteria and encourage saliva production). On top of all this, you can use a teeth whitening products, like the ones mentioned earlier.
With all the options you have for whitening your teeth, there’s absolutely no reason for you to feel ashamed about the color of your teeth. If can’t seem to fix the stains from home, you can easily book an appointment with your dentist for help.
- Teeth can be yellow for many different reasons, some of which we don’t have much control over while others we have direct control over.
- You can get rid of yellow teeth by going to a dental professional, use an at-home whitening product, or try your hand at DIY whitening methods.
- The best way to prevent yellow teeth is by taking care of your mouth. Brushing, flossing, and going to the dentist are the best ways to keep your mouth healthy and your smile bright.